Miranda McMillin MD discusses getting pregnant
Are you preparing to start your family? Miranda McMillin MD talks about getting pregnant and the value of preconception planning. Dr. McMillin recently joined Renaissance Women’s Group, and she is one of our highly-trained and experienced Cedar Park obgyns.
Thinking about getting pregnant? Time to make some lifestyle changes
If you’re planning on getting pregnant, now is the time to make important lifestyle changes that can not only help increase your chances of getting pregnant, but also ensure that you’ll be healthy when you do conceive.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can affect your fertility. It’s also dangerous for the baby when you do get pregnant. Women also should not drink alcohol or use recreational drugs during pregnancy, so the best time to quit is when you’re thinking of getting pregnant.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. A diet of fruits, vegetables, dairy products, lean protein and whole grains is the kind of nutrition we encourage during pregnancy. It’s also a helpful way to reach and maintain your ideal weight. Women who are too thin or too heavy may experience fertility issues and have difficulty conceiving.
- Start taking folic acid. Folic acid prevents neural brain defects that can develop early in a pregnancy, so it’s important that you begin taking 800 to 1000 micrograms of folic acid daily as soon as you are thinking about getting pregnant.
- Participate in moderate exercise. We encourage women to exercise moderately during pregnancy to maintain good health. It’s also important when you are thinking about getting pregnant. On the other hand, excessive exercise can cause fertility problems.
- Avoid toxins. You may encounter toxic chemicals that can contribute to fertility issues. These toxins can be found in your home, yard or workplace. Talk to our Cedar Park obgyns about which substances you should avoid.
- Put some thought into sex. Do what comes naturally, but make sure you’re having sex when you’re ovulating. Track your ovulation with an ovulation predictor kit to ensure that you are timing intercourse at the most optimal part of your cycle.
Schedule a preconception planning appointment
Scheduling a preconception planning appointment is one of the most important steps you can take when you’re planning on getting pregnant. At this appointment, our Cedar Park obgyns talk with you about your medical history, nutrition, ways to optimize your natural fertility and more. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. McMillin.